In 1957 the Police and Fire Brigade combined to form a football team which played a match against a team from the Gawler and District League.
A year after this match, the Gawler League held a meeting to discuss putting another team in the SANFL. The League agreed to their proposal.
The new team was named Central District, and the red, white and blue colours were decided upon. The name Central District was derived from the Central Districts Carnival, a Queen’s Holiday Carnival being contested by the various Northern Leagues.
In the 1950’s some officials of the Footscray Football club from Victoria visited Central District and offered their assistance. They donated 30 long sleeve jumpers and 30 new pairs of socks to help the new club.
Central served five years in “B” grade before being admitted to the League competition in 1964.
Gary Window won the Reserves Magarey Medal in 1963. He was the Cub’s first League Magarey Medal winner in 1965.
Central’s first game was against West Torrens. The Bulldogs were beaten 26.24 (180) to 6.7 (43).
Central District’s first League Coach was West Adelaide’s 1962 Magarey Medallist, Ken Eustice.
Alan Stewart coached Central District from 1991-1994, taking the team into the 1995 Grand Final to contest for their first Thomas Seymour Hill Premiership Cup.
In 1989 Central’s League side finished in the top 3, the Reserves won the Premiership, Gilbert McAdam won the League Magarey Medal, Phil Lounder won the Reserves Magarey Medal, Paul Hick won the Tomkins Medal and Rudi Mandemaker won the Ken Farmer Medal.
In 2009 Central District became the first SANFL club to play in 10 consecutive Grand Finals.
More Club Information
Club Formed: 1959 Emblem: Bulldog Premierships: 9 – 2000 , 2001, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 Most Years as Coach: 7 R Laird 2003 - Most Games Played: 308 – P Vivian, 1969-1985 Colours: Red, White And Blue Ground: Hamra Homes Oval Elizabeth Wooden Spoons: 2 – 1964, 1977 Most Years Captained: 6 – D Mobbs, 1978-1983; R Girdham, 1992-1997